Meet the family behind A Simple Six, left to right.
- Elliot, 9, loves his friends, building in MineCraft, playing creatively and being the biggest, sweetest brother and son he can be. He’s embarking on the 4th grade at Dr. George Blackman ECC and has cute freckles. Elliot rides a 24 inch multigeared bike and was born in Pullman, WA.
- Oliver, 3, is trying to keep his parents up all night and wants nothing more than to go on a bike ride. Oliver prefers to sit on the deck in front of a big brother but is most often found in the Peanut Shell. Our youngest lad of three was born in Huntington, WV.
- Stacy, 34, spends a lot of time perfecting the homebody creed, which includes being on the computer, cooking, scheming, and occasionally putting away clean dishes. She writes this blog and volunteers all her time for, well, everything. Most recently she’s gotten involved with community gardening. Stacy pedals the Yuba Mundo on most days, but when she’s flying solo she might take the MTB. She calls the corn fields of Troy, OH her home.
- Brent, 37, eats, sleeps and drinks his job at Buffalo State University as a new media/graphics design professor in the department of fine/communication arts. He does it for his wife and four children and can’t imagine a better place to spend his paid time at this point in his life. Brent also paints, makes video art and can’t keep a serious face in a photo. He also rides a Yuba Mundo (yes, that means we have two!). Brent says it was serendipity that brought him back to his birth state for 9 years before a recent job change.
- Avery, 6, packs a wicked punch line to a great joke, shadows Elliot and all his friends, and longs to be the big kid. He is proud to be a kindergarten graduate from Our Lady of Fatima and a 1st grader at Dr. George Blackman ECC. He had Guillane Barre Syndrome just after he turned 3 and took on a full recovery. He then fell again to this auto-immune disorder in early 2013 and is deeply involved in therapy as he heals. Avery has no desire to pedal himself when he can get a cushy ride on the deck of the Yuba. He was our first WV baby.
- London, 11, recently began the 6th grade at Olmsted at Kensington High School and has a very free spirit. She’s a dragonologist, artist, book lover, knitter, crocheter, multi-instrument player, and favorite niece of her aunts Sara and Shannon. London has a refurbished red Schwinn mountain bike but would rather have a folding bike or something nostalgic with a step through frame and wicker basket. Born in Columbus, OH, she lived in three states and six houses before she was five.
- Eiki, 17, joined our family in August 2013, as a Japanese exchange student through the YFU program. He is a varsity soccer player for Bishop Timon St. Jude High School, where he is taking a variety of courses including business and Spanish. Eiki rides our restored Jaimis, when he’s not studying, or taking the Metro bus to and from school and soccer. We look forward to sharing experiences with our Japanese son this year.
We are currently doing our best to bicycle everywhere we can in Buffalo, NY and the surrounding area. We recently relocated from Huntington, WV, where we spent two year cycling and using our only car, a Honda Odyssey occasionally. We left the van in WV and began our NY life without a vehicle. As a family we can be found reading stories in the living room on weekends. Our week days lives have us scattered to the winds. We try to make conscientious decisions that are best for the community and the planet. There is no end to our gratitude for everything and everyone and we thank you all for reading!